"Life's too short to wear boring clothes!"
I create one of a kind and limited production felted art to wear. The work begins with wool that is sustainably harvested from organically and ethically raised sheep. Other textiles, are used, mostly silks. About 60% of the silks are from deconstructed garments with the other 40% being new silks that have sometimes been dyed or hand printed or commercially printed. The work is created...
... seamlessly; there is no sewing except as a means to tack and stabilize the garment before the felting process begins. The garments are created mathematically. Through experimentation and noting the variable shrink rates for the combination of wool and various textiles, I can create garments that are beautiful and well fitted. Multiple felting techniques are used in the making of the garments, these include: wet, seamless, needle felting, variable shrink, 3-D resists and laminate methods. In the dye work the techniques that are employed are immersion, painting, Shibori and clamp resist printing.
Best in fiber, Krasel, St. Joseph, MI, 2018
Best in show, Kenan art cente, New York 2018
Best in upcycled, Gloucester, MA, 2018 Wearable Art Show
First Place in fibers, Kenan art center 2017
• The Susan Lichter Jury Prize, Coolidge Corner Arts Festival, 2013 • The Silvermine Art of the Northeast Diane Alexander Award 2004
• Awarded Utrecht Prize for excellence Copley Society Spring Juried Members show
• Massachusetts Cultural Council Professional Development Grant 2000 • The Silvermine Art of the Northeast Community Association Award 2001